Morning Live Reporter
South central Wisconsin’s #1 news station, WMTV, has an immediate opening for a Morning Live Reporter. The person currently in this spot is being promoted internally to another role in our newsroom. The top candidate will be a dynamic, high-level storyteller who delivers every day.
We work hard and take pride in getting it right. WMTV was recently honored with back-to-back “News Operation of the Year” awards in 2020 and 2019 by the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association. What’s better than working at the #1 station in the nation’s #1 city? Join our award-winning team and live, work and play in a community that is consistently named one of the best places to live in America. In fact, LIVEABILITY named Madison the “best place to live in America” in its 2021 Top 100 survey.
WMTV, the NBC-affiliate in Madison, Wis., has an immediate opening on our Emmy award-winning and #1-rated morning news team. Join the best in the market as our next morning live reporter. This is a high-profile position that requires initiative, leadership and flexibility. You must have versatility in your reporting and be able to cover breaking news, issue-based stories and features. Must be able to mine for content and develop sources and original storytelling.
If you wait for the news to come to you, this is not the job for you. You will be expected to find the impactful stories behind press releases. There is no room in this newsroom for bad attitudes or people who rely on the Assignment Desk for story ideas.
The ideal candidate will possess versatility, speed and accuracy when it comes to gathering and verifying facts, shooting and editing video, and writing. You must have exceptional reporting skills and live delivery, news judgment and ethics. NBC15 is a multi-platform organization and qualified candidates will excel in traditional television storytelling, as well as digital innovation. Previous experience is preferred.
You will work with an experienced and award-winning photojournalist on your morning live hits, but you are also expected to MMJ and put packages together outside of the morning newscast.
• The ideal candidate has the potential and drive to fill-in anchor, when needed.
• You will work with the News Director and Morning EP on daily story selection and setup for your morning live hits.
• Write and post copy daily on all digital platforms as new information is learned. This includes NBC15.com, social media, our news app, and OTT products.
• Execute a daily digital plan tailored to your assignment and long-term projects. This includes posting to social media throughout your shift, identifying opportunities for live streaming on our website and Facebook, getting breaking news, live and user-generated content into our newscasts to our News Now Desk.
• Understand our DMA, key target audiences and where they live.
• Develop sources within the community to gain unique, “Only On” insight and reports on important and impactful issues.
• Strong research skills, ability to employ critical thinking skills to dig and go “beyond the press release” and/or confirm incoming news tips via email or social media.
• Work with a sense of immediacy independently and as a team.
• Have the desire to win and the ability to reflect on your work and apply feedback.
• Minimum two years of newsroom experience preferred. A college degree in journalism or related field.
• A strong candidate will have an established and responsible presence on digital platforms, including station website, social media and OTT.
• Understanding of and adherence to AP Style (for digital platforms) and broadcast writing (for television).
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), proven news judgement, ethics and integrity.
• Strong work ethic, organizational and leadership skills. Must be able to work quickly, make deadlines, multi-task and show composure, especially during breaking news.
• Ability to work long hours/overtime, weekends, and overnights as needed for breaking news and specialized coverage.
• Must be able to carry 35+ pounds of gear and be experienced in shooting and editing unique content.
Please apply here: https://bit.ly/3xYdQZz
Station/Company Name : WMTV NBC15, Gray Television
Contact Name : Jess Laszewski
Contact Email : email@example.com
Location : Madison
Application Information : Please apply here: https://bit.ly/3xYdQZz
Expiration Date : 3/1/2022